Sunday, May 06, 2007

Water babies

One of the things I'm looking forward to in Heaven is the lamb lying down with the lion. There's something wonderful when all God's creation gets along with each other.

When mine were all quite little & before Dearest broke his back we had one of those perfect days on the water that come so rarely. Dearest had taken us over to Straddie. The kids had played on the sandy beaches (we only have mud) & swum in the tepid water before having a good fish & catching nothing. I hate catching something because I object to something dying slowly in a bucket.

We were pottering home gently through an evening soft with mauves & pinks & a bay reflecting piles of cloud like a mirror when dark fins broke the water. Dearest cut the engine & a moment later the sleek grey bodies of dolphins were all about the tinnie. The children were delighted. Children of the sea they knew better than to jump all over the boat but they were clinging to the sides to get just as close as they could get without actually getting in the water.

Then Mama dolphin arrived. Mama dolphin had a very tiny bub riding with her. He might have been tiny but he was a world class clown & he fell in love with Liddy & Liddy, who was barely walking let alone swimming, fell in love with him.

So there we were, mama dolphin hovering anxiously around a baby who was trying to figure out how to invegile my baby into the water with him, me anxiously & sureptiously clutching my baby to make sure that wasn't where she ended up. For 10 minutes or so the pod circled us, bub rolling a droll eye Liddy's way & performing outrageous tricks for her while we held our breath & marveled. Liddy doesn't remember at all; I will never forget.

There is something of sadness in the memory now too. I remember very clearly Dino's big blue eyes wide with delight but he grew into a man & went out on the trawlers & what he has to say about dolphins, who are quite clever enough to harrass one good~sized trawler, aren't printable here! There should be enough to go round & share but the ocean is in drought as well as the land & it seems there is not.

1 comment:

Constance said...

We were singing a song in church yesterday and I realized something. I have heard the verse about the Lion and the Lamb lying down together many times over the years. I never really thought about this before; that Jesus is referred to as the Lamb of God but he is also the Lion of Judah. He is both-sacrificing all for us and our defender as well. I don't know if there's a connection with the lion and lamb lying down together. It's always been a singular thought. He's either the lamb of God or else He was the Lion of Judah. I love how CS Lewis though visualized the Christ figure in Aslan the LION who became a sacrificaial lamb. Sorry this sounds so disjointed.
Connie