Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Boys & boats.

The one thing I can be tcertain of is that nothing stays the same. I have got used to having Dino home again & safely land bound but my middle son has never wanted to do anything else but fish. I have a photo of a tiny Dino & Theo standing knee deep in an enormouse puddle, a stick each, pretending to fish as the rain belted down around them. Then it was a little dingy they took to rowing round our bay trailing fishing lines & crab pots in sight of mama's watchful eyes. The boats just got bigger & now my son drives my car as though he were still in the middle of the Indian Ocean throwing an 80 foot trawler around on cyclone strength waves. Landscaping with his brother is not for him. As he says, he wants to drive big boats not plant big trees. Depending on whose viewpoint you look at it from, he has unfortunately been offered a crewing job locally. He prefers the east coast & being able to catch up with friends & family on his time off. His mother has said nothing. I do not like the ocean. I will not watch the weather when Dino is at sea but when the wind picks up & our bay churns with mud & white caps I keep a prayer in my heart for all the little boats bobbing about on the oceans of the world & the men who sail them. God knows, I don't do much sleeping.

2 comments:

Constance said...

There's a TV special we have on the Discovery Channel and it's called, "The Deadliest Catch". It's about fisherman who go out on these boats, face insane weather and peril, to bring in their catch. I honestly don't know how I wouldn't lose my mind if someone I loved were doing that kind of a job. It looks SO scary!
Connie

Ganeida. said...

I can't watch. Master & Commander was waaay to much for me.