Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothering Sunday ~ as they say in England

Liddy insists on telling me she never listens when I do the message at church. My children find it highly embarrassing to have their mother get up & speak after all the practising I've done on them. Now I thought today's service was lovely ~ spirit led, gentle, applicable ~ but I am so focused on getting the message right that I really pay very little attention to anything else until I'm all done & trying to hold so much of the spirit tends to have me weeping at the drop of a hat & bursting out of my spiritual skin. People must be mad who choose to do this for a living.

So I ask Liddy in the car, the car generally being good for getting her with her guard down, how she thought the message was ~ & got the usual answer. 'I wish you'd listen,' I whinged, 'so I have someone to obsess with afterwards like you do with the soccer.' Liddy insists she does NOT obsess but I can assure you otherwise! 'Well, MOTHER,' mother being the term sorely tried children address me by, ' Seeing as you had three quarters of the church in tears, I think you hit a nerve don't you?!'

And my ultimate point was...?

Even our DNA has been programmed to sing & glorify God. It speaks of an enormous love for His creation. It speaks of something incomprehensible. Much as I should like too I have as much chance of comprehending that as I have of grasping quantum physics. And that really is the point, isn’t it? All around us we can see the results of God’s glory & majesty & nearly all of it is beyond our minds to grasp. But, and it is a very wonderful thing, we have been given God’s promises. Those have been revealed to us & when we are faced with troubles & grief those are promises we can cling to. We have tasted of God & know that He is good. In our suffering that is our witness to a world that does not know the goodness of God. It is our testimony that no matter what we can say with Job, ‘ Though He slay me, yet will I trust in him.’ Amen

1 comment:

Constance said...

Amen and amen! I have read Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life and we are indeed "wired" to glorify and worship God!

I'm catching up on all of your posts (that I've missed due to my hard-drive crashing) in one comment box!

I have a daughter, my youngest one Laura Louise, or Laura Lou as we call her who is her own unique person! She is completely different from the other 3 and has a personality almost totally opposite of mine, she has been the most difficult for me to understand. I love her to pieces like the rest of them but she has been my own little challenge over the years. God has taught me a lot through blessing my life with her!

Lastly, I LOVED your angel experience! My mother and I both have had very real experiences. As to what they look like, my Mom's angel looked JUST like my Dad! He was in Central America with the Army Corps of Engineers helping to build a road in the jungle. He was gone for 2 weeks, leaving my mother alone. At that time they were living in the inner-city (where I grew up) and over the years it had gotten steadily worse with crime and drugs!

When Pop got back, a neighbor asked if he had been on vacation. Pop was loathe to give out that information and said,

"Why would you ask me that question?"

The neighbor went on to say that he had seen Pop sitting outside every day in his chair, reading a book and nodding at passer-bys that walked down the street!

I BELIEVE that God does indeed send His angels to minister to us on our behalf!

Connie