I have 5 children & I homeschool; you think I wouldn't be off with the fairies at least some of the time?
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Work Related.
We are in a new phase in life. The boys work off~island & are gone from 6am to 6pm & man like so long as food is on the table when they arrive home & their washing's done they don't grumble too much. Liddy is a whole other matter. They boys get themselves up & only wake me if they need a lift to the boat. Liddy wakes me when she rolls out of bed because between eating & sleeping, sleeping wins these days & if I don't get up with her she misses breakfast. I don't mind. What are mothers for if not handholding & coaxing when you land that first important job? It's the rest of it that is raising eyebrows at work. Liddy works 3 minutes from home. She likes her lunches fresh. Fresh bread, fresh salad, a nice fresh slice of ham, a tomato that hasn't had time to soak into the butter & ruin the bread; hot chowder & a new roll thick with butter; a toasted sandwhich piping hot, banana custard. You get the picture. It's not a big deal. We time Cass's morning break for Liddy's lunch break & get our bread & milk at the same time. Liddy is coping some teasing though. No~one else gets their lunches made for them & chauffer driven to work. No~one else gets a home made lunch either. Each day the regular staff make enquiries as to what's on the menu today. Some days we've taken in extra food because we've baked & it just seemed too cruel to only take in fresh cake or cookies for Liddy. She is driven in to work & picked up again when most of the other teenagers are own their own. She's been told she's spoilt. Perhaps she is but how do we learn what it is to give service cheerfully if we've never recieved it? And where best to learn it than at home? At the end of the day I know I can count on both my girls to get a meal on the table & clear the decks if I'm bedridden with a migraine, & they will do it cheerfully too, which is as it should be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My best friend has it right when she says that you can only doteon your kids for a little while and then they're gone! Seems like such a small sacrifice putting it that way! I agree, they learn to give because they've received!
Connie
Post a Comment